Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Flamingo update


Can you believe the number of flamingos here? This is a "ria" just south of our casa. There are no rivers in the Yucatan, just inlets where the water is brackish- a mixture of salt and fresh. Since the peninsula is flat as a pancake, these rias can go inland quite a bit. Usually they are no more than a foot or so deep, depending on the tide. Flamingos congregate here as well as cranes, herons, storks, pelicans, etc. Click on the picture to see some diferent birds among all the pink. It's a birders' paradise. Just don't forget the mosquito repellent. They bite all day and I can't figure out why they like me so much! One of our friends (Mike of Mike and Judy the Chickens fame) says it's because I don't drink alcohol. He might have something there, although I am not pouring beer all over myself. Maybe Listerine. But that's a story for another day!

No comments: