Friday, October 3, 2008

October in the Yucatan

Here it is the 3rd of October and the weather has cooled off a bit. It is still really nice everyday with an occasional shower and a nice breeze to keep the bugs away. The Gulf is warm and the water is pretty clear. All in all, it's a beautiful thing. Chief has been working on the rock sculptures; I think there are 6 of them now. The other night a couple of dogs ran through our yard and stopped to bark at them! I guess you have to be from California to be a rock-balancer.There is a whole area of them in the Carmel Highlands on Hwy 1 and people have started making them in Pebble Beach. They just appear and pretty soon there are a bunch of them....The powers that be in Pebble Beach couldn't decide whether or not to leave them be or knock them down. I guess they were concerned with public opinion and didn't do anything. Yet.
If they can figure out a way to copyright them like they did with the Lone Cypress I'm sure they would.
I've been studying some beadwork techniques that I never had time to learn. My current obsession is Ndebele Herringbone. The picture below is Zulu Popcorn. I have a bunch of beading books and I'm going through them one project at a time. Since I have lots of beads it's the perfect thing. I'll throw in some doilies here and there and figure out how to weave coconut palm leaves into something cool. Then there are the shells....
We plan to make some excursions this month, probably to some Mayan ruins or Celestun where there are zillions of flamingos. So far, we've seen lots of flamingos but they were pretty far away. I'd love to go see Placido Domingo at Chichen Itza but the tickets were sold out eons ago. Darn. I could watch it on TV but it won't be close.
We have pretty much adjusted to the slower pace of life here. I feel very fortunate to have experienced this much- and we still have 11 months to go!

No comments: